Wednesday 22 June 2011

Quinoa Parsley Salad with Crunchy Kale

Crunchy Kale
The directions I used for making crunchy kale are from Gillian McKeith's You Are What You Eat Cookbook. Although not advertised as a vegan (or even vegetarian) cookbook, I would estimate that at least 80% of the recipes are vegan, including some great smoothie and soup ideas, as well as full-blown vegan feasts.

The kale is cooked in the oven and takes on a delicious crunchy texture, along with kale's characteristic flavour.  It's great for snacking on, as well as for sprinkling on salads like this.


Why did it take me so long to discover kale when it's so tasty?


Salad

The rest of the salad is very simple.  It consists of:
50g (dry weight) quinoa
50g chickpeas
chopped parsley

Salad Dressing

I dressed this salad (as I do most salads) with lime juice and Flaxseed & SesameOil.  You could use olive oil, but I prefer the deeper flavour of the flaxseed/sesame mixture.  Also, I rely on this product for Omega 3, which is in short supply in most vegan foods.